If you cannot understand the concepts and the terms, please click the following link to read how data recovery process is beeing done with simple words:
- What is Data Recovery ?
- Something happened to my hard drive. It doesn’t work and I hear a strange sound. What can I do ?
- Is there any special software to retrieve lost data?
- Can I trust my technician in case I lose my data?
- I have read that I can get a plate of the same drive and change it, is this possible ?
- I have read that in case my disk has a problem, I can put it in the freezer for a while. Can this fix my disk?
- What percentage of hard drive problems are hard drives are recoverable ?
- I have the known problem “Click of Death”,what should I do ?
- Why must the hard drive be opened in Clean Room?
- Why data recovery from USB,memory card and SSD drive is so expensive? It is not an easy task ?
- There are several data recovery companies on the internet. Which should I choose?
- Can I get offers from several companies and choose the cheapest ?
- I’ve found on the internet many companies promise free diagnosis and No Data No Fee, Why TicTac Laboratories charge me ?
- Why is it important for a data recovery company to have years of experience ?
- What confidentiality do you provide me ? I have a disk that contains personal photos or business documents. What assurance do I have?
- What is Data Recovery ?
Data recovery is the process of rescuing data, which are not accessible for any reason, by any medium, whether resulting from mechanical breakdown or failure of the system or even by some mistake of the user. The Data Recovery is a specialized branch of information technology, which is dedicated to restore inaccessible data from the user. This process involves technicians with specialized knowledge, special equipment and is governed by strict rules in order to ensure the best possible success rate.> Back to list of FAQs
- Something happened to my hard drive. It doesn’t work and I hear a strange sound. What can I do ?It is best not to make any action. If your disk has a problem with its cartridge and you plug the drive in another machine to try to experiment, then the defective cartridge can permanently destroy data on the platters (data surfaces) of the disk. If the disc was dropped from a height and hit its cartridge is also very dangerous to give current to the disk because the current can “scrape” the surface of the platters.Disks with problems by dropping or head must be opened in a special environment and removed immediately the defective cartridge to hold on to the platters.When there is generally a problem on your hard disk and you are really interested in your data do not experiment. TicTac Laboratories have a series of action sto be executed according to the case shall be kept with absolute devotion to prevent damage to the disk platter, which are the data.
- Is there any special software to retrieve lost data?On the internet you can find many professional data recovery programs and several free applications. However, the use of such programs by people who are not trained properly, can cause permanent loss of some data, and maybe it can not be corrected even by a qualified data recovery technician . Data recovery, when it comes to deletion, format or incorrect use of the user, is usually done by specialized software. Ηowever in such cases is good knowing the specific steps needed to ensure the best possible rate of recovered data. Incorrect use of even the best programs can permanently remove information from the disk, by writing over it new data.> Back to list of FAQs
- Can I trust my technician in case I lose my data?The process of data recovery whether concerns software issues , or mechanical problems, is a process with a very delicate balance and tips that most computer technicians are not aware of . In case of mechanical failure of the medium requires specialized equipment and laboratory facilities. There are many cases where users have accidentally deleted files, or have formated their disk and ask technical support from the company where they bought their medium to help them recover their data.In most cases Service will find some of the user’s files, but mostly due to non-specialized knowledge, technicians will eliminate the recoverability of all the files of the user. In a specialized data recovery lab, as long as the storage medium is brought soon, the chances of exporting data 100% after format or deletion is almost guaranteed.So the question is how important is your data. If it is not important, you can contact a non-qualified technician or try yourself to retrieve your data. But if your data is very important and you can not risk losing a percentage, then it is better to trust your medium to a specialized data recovery company.
- I have read that I can get a plate of the same drive and change it, is this possible ?Searching the internet one can find several “techniques” to recover data from a damaged disk. Some of these apply to specific models of discs, but in some other models can cause permanent loss of data.A wrong PCB on a disk can give more power to heads and eventually wears out them, or even lead them to read and possibly write some points in the wrong area.
We never know how each model might behave . It is reasonable to want to experiment with something that is insignificant to you, for example,if you lost the work of last week. You might be able to experiment. But what if the disc has broke down with your 10-year personal photos, or the spreadsheet program of your company with all the records of the last 4 months. What if it contains the work of your doctoral thesis of the last 2 years?
It is very important to evaluate what has greater value. To save a high cost that you would give to a specialized data recovery company or the possibility of permanent loss of your data because you chose not qualified technician or a video on youtube showing you how to do by yourself data recovery?
- I have read that in case my disk has a problem, I can put it in the freezer for a while. Can this fix my disk?Several years ago this solution of freezing damaged disks was released. Many drives have been completely destroyed by this reputation but which hides a truth.Actually, there were models that had problems with their axis «spindle» which locked and didn’t leave the platters rotate. This was due to high friction and high overheating, so there was expansion of the shaft thereby they were moving again when put in a certain way in the freezer. But it had too many risks, because of the contraction of the platters of the disk and then the restoration to the room temperature was once again dilated to a very short time. The result of this process is usually complete destruction of the disk platters and permanent loss of data, not even a specialized laboratory can recover a disc inserted into the freezer.
If you really are interested in your data, experimentation is something that can cost you more than you can imagine, because experimentation means that a wrong action can get some data and some other can destroy it forever.
- What percentage of hard drive problems are hard drives are recoverable ?A large percentage of disks that implicates dysfunction without any fall is fully recoverable. This is because the surface data in such cases usually does not suffer any damage. We dare to say that if a disk has fallen, and has a problem, it is likely up to 98% to get recovered if it goes directly to a data recovery company.For disks that have fallen or tremored during the hours of operation, the percentage drops and reaches approximately 70%. This happens because the head of the disk may touch the surface data (platters)and can cause permanent scratch resulting in permanent data loss. If a drive has a mechanical problem and someone tries many times to start it, this way it may scratch the surface with each boot and can cause the loss of several Megabytes or Gigabytes, depending on disk capacity.
For these reasons, when you face a problem and the data on the disk is important, you should go directly to a data recovery company.
- I have the known problem “Click of Death”,what should I do ?For some time now the term “Click of Death” was released on the internet of Death” but no special emphasis was placed on what can occur. Click of Death describes the efforts of the heads of the disk to read the platters (data on individual surfaces of the disk – like CD), without success. This gives an audio “click, click, click, click …” who is either consecutive or interrupted and continues.In most cases this sound indicates that the drive heads are broken or worn out or there is a problem on disk surface, a scratch, for example, so the drive can not start. Certainly there are cases where the problem can be found in the firmware of the hard disk or the board. So we can‘t be sure that we have a specific problem. To correct this problem, if possible, it requires a full diagnosis of the individual parts of the disk or even the opening in a Clean Room for further conclusions. Therefore if you have such a problem, it should first be diagnosed by a data recovery company and then you will know if the disk is recoverable and at what amount.
- Why must the hard drive be opened in Clean Room?It is well known that the inner disk is hermetically sealed and must not be opened. This is partly true because the disc is not hermetically sealed, there is always a small hole with filter that ventilates the interior of the disc.In any way, the disk must not be opened by a technician or by yourself in case of a problem, as this can cause permanent data loss due to fine particles of dust in air.
Nowadays the hard drives with large storage capabilities, have encoded data in magnetic surface of the platters and highly dense form. A particle of dust that touches either the platters or the edges of the disk head can be fatal if we consider that the particles of dust can scarcely be seen, in our everyday environment is especially dangerous to an open disk, especially if he has more than 2 cartridges.
- Why data recovery from USB,memory card and SSD drive is so expensive? It is not an easy task ?Usually when you break a USB, a problem occurs in the electronic circuit (PCB or Controller chip).However, the piece that contains our coded data, is the NAND chips. These are data storage chips but they are encoded. They contain data in hexadecimal format, which is distributed to chip in a unique way. The three common types of failure is therefore the damage to electronic circuitry that is rarely corrected, the malfunction of the controller and the breaking of NAND chips. In the third case the recovery is impossible. In the first case, the charges are very high while in the second case you need to decode the Chips. This part is particularly difficult, specialized and time-consuming and requires sophisticated equipment (NAND Readers & Decoders). A decoding process can last a few hours if the solution algorithm of coding has been found previously, or may last for months with similar costs, if the algorithm should be investigated. TicTac Laboratories has trained staff and latest technology to track the NAND chip Recovery. Even if others refuse recovery because is difficult, TicTac Laboratories will transfer the final cost to the customer, and if he agrees, the goal is usually achieved.> Back to list of FAQs
- There are several data recovery companies on the internet. Which should I choose?Indeed lately data recovery, due to increased use of storage media, has especially increased. This makes the market work according to demand. Companies that promise cheap recovery, ghost-companies that do not even have office or facilities and give only their mobile phone, technicians that have an elaborate website and all kinds of cunning who promise low prices to experiment with your data.A data recovery company should have corporate facilities, personnel, specialized laboratory at its headquarters, equipment, processes, infrastructure, and expertise that ensure the eve of the market for some time in order to ensure that your data are in good hands. How can you find all this? When you present your disk to a data recovery company, ask where are the workshops and see the number of staff. In most data recovery companies in Greece the same person you talked on the phone (Secretary), will be the same person who receives your drive, is the technician of the company and possibly the owner. This should not happen in a big company that has invested in data recovery. The technician should not perform the secretariat. This little observation will give you the necessary skills to separate companies by individuals.
- Can I get offers from several companies and choose the cheapest ?Remember that a storage medium when in an unstable state can not afford several experiments. The price is not relevant when your data is important and is likely to lose them forever. In Data recovery expertise and equipment available to each company is charged. It is obvious a company which has invested in equipment and skilled personnel to charge more because it has more features. Also having a responsibility to customers, a large company is not risking customer data by experiments.The recommendations of a company is an important factor to choose. In the Greek market there are few reliable data recovery companies and therefore you should make the right choice at the beginning. If you select on the basis of price and a mistake is made by using the first company due to lack of equipment or expertise, chances are that even if you go to the largest data recovery company in Greece, they can not help you because the previous company caused permanent damage. Most disks characterized as “non-recoverable” are disks that have gone first to another untrained technician, have been tampered by the same user or have gone to small data recovery companies.
- I’ve found on the internet many companies promise free diagnosis and No Data No Fee, Why TicTac Laboratories charge me ?TicTac is the only company in Greece that charges diagnosis of the client disk.It is a policy applied by many professional recovery labs in the world that have prestige, not experimenting with their customers, and a thorough knowledge of the subject. No Data No Fee means that recovery will be attempted and if it is not achieved the customer pays nothing. Thinking that diagnosis of a case requires hours of labor and parts, the only reason for a company to make such a policy is experimentation to learn the work of recovery in experimental projects and attracting new customers.The cost of diagnosis by TicTac is applied for the following reasons:
- During the diagnosis our technician uses at least 2 hours to diagnose the disk
- If there are available parts or the damage does not need any parts, the technician retrieves DIRECTLY a list of files or data itself if he considers that the stability of the system is not good to do it later.
- A detailed diagnosis is sent to the customer with strict time limits ( in 24hrs express Pritority or 3 days Normal Priority) and an offer for the cost of parts and labor separately, so the customer knows what exactly pays.
- It is important for the customer to understand from the first time that data recovery is an “expensive” process. The cost of diagnosis is typically not less than 10% of the final price of recovery. So if someone refuses to pay the cost of diagnosis means that the data is not important enough to repay the final cost of the work of our technicians.
- We do not make “quick” business. We perform the task of recovery always under strictly defined protocol operations based on international standards. Your data is so important for you and for us, because we must deliver them in order to get paid.
- Apart from the cost of diagnosis, the client does not pay anything if we do not recover the requested data. In cases requiring parts the customer bears the cost of parts.
- TicTac is the first company in Greece and this guarantees for the well-trained personnel and the logistical infrastructure of the company. Read more about the Company> Back to list of FAQs
- Why is it important for a data recovery company to have years of experience ?TicTac data recovery company, founded in 2001 in Greece, while the technology and personnel training was transfered by TicTac Data Recovery Labs in Israel, operating since 1995 and is one of the first data recovery companies in the world.An annex of TicTac also exists in Cyprus. 20% of company‘s annual revenue is intended to purchase new equipment and staff training.H TicTac Laboratories καθ’ όλη τη διάρκεια λειτουργίας της καθιέρωσε το όνομα της στην αγορά της πληροφορικής και έχει συνεργαστεί με πάρα πολλά καταστήματα και εταιρίες σε Ελλάδα και Ευρώπη. Η TicTac Labs Δεν είναι σε καμμία περίπτωση ώς η εταιρία με τις χαμηλότερες τιμές και ο κόσμος της πληροφορικής, ειδικά οι τεχνικοί, το γνωρίζουν αυτό. Όμως όταν πρόκειται για τα πολίτιμα δεδομένα τους, οι πελάτες έχουν δείξει με την εμπιστοσύνη τους τόσα χρόνια, οτι γνωρίζουν πως πρέπει να εμπιστευτούν την τεχνογνωσία της εταιρίας TicTac, χωρίς απόπειρες δοκιμής σε ανειδίκευτους τεχνικούς, καθώς έτσι ρισκάρουν.
- What confidentiality do you provide me ? I have a disk that contains personal photos or business documents. What assurance do I have?Unfortunately there is no security certificate for the management of data yet. But TicTac is in the implementation of ISO 27001 and will be carry out in 2011. Beyond this, however, our general corporate clientele certifies that in TicTac your data security is our concern too. For this reason, our work stops in the recovery of files,the creation of a list and then is up to the client if he wishes to check one by one all the files, in a specially designed desk, using a laptop that our company provides. Moreover our technicians do not know the names of our clients. Each case is filed and passed in the laboratory by serial number. The technician is unable to verify the personal information of the customer unless the customer requests so. Read more in Privacy & Security.> Back to list of FAQs